Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Let's begin with my bike and getting a motorcycle license(for people interested in learning how to ride)

This summer I bought my first motorcycle, a Suzuki Katana. I've been riding dirtbikes and atvs since I was a little kid and the last few summers I would drive a little tw200 (street legal) around my small rural town with no problems. This summer I finally decided to take the msf class and get my license. The motorcycle class was quite amusing because the majority of the people had little to no experience with bikes so if was pretty fun watching people drop the bikes which made the 20hour course pass by fairly quickly. I would HIGHLY recommend taking the msf motorcycle course in your local area because by completing the course all you have to do is walk in the DMV, give them the completion card and you're on your way. Also, this class teaches the basic fundamentals of riding and the instructors are extremely forgiving/friendly (at least with my experience). Far too many people I have talked to want to get a sporty bike and they have never touched a bike before.... If you want to start riding a motorcycle take this course at your local community college and you will be fairly prepared for the rode. Let's get back to my bike though. Being that I already had experience riding I was pretty confident with getting a 600cc motorcycle. Of all the bikes I looked at, this was by far the most logical choice as it is a "sport touring" motorcycle, which basically means it has a powerful engine but it still has a comfortable ride(plus the insurence on sport touring bikes is much cheaper than say a "sport" bike). I am extremely happy with the bike, but if you don't have a lot of experience with motorcycles I wouldn't recommend it strictly because of it almost 500 pound weight. If you want a sporty first bike I would recommend a Kawasaki Ninja 500. So far I've put almost 1000 miles on the bike this month and I'm loving every minute of it.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome blog man! +followed by starcraftdinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had looked into buying a bike for a while there.

    /Followed

    ReplyDelete
  3. love bikes, specially katanas I'll sure keep reading this blog everyday over coffee! bring more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting reading. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now we want to see it! (I mean your bike hm?) (+following)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been on a motorcycle but I'm interested in riding. Maybe I'll take that course.

    ReplyDelete